Fireworks, parades, tractor pulls, silent auctions, carnivals, bake sales—your organization partakes and hosts all kinds of events. But which events are covered by a basic general liability policy and which events need a special event policy?
Many activities, including fundraising activities, may require a special event policy due to additional exposures associated with the event. Read on for examples of events covered under your organization’s general liability policies and events that may require a special event policy.
Covered Events under General Liability
These events are commonly covered under your organization’s General Liability policy. Confirm with Lockton Affinity before hosting such events to be sure.
• Bake sales
• Bowling events
• Garage sales
• Silent auctions
Events Requiring a Special Event Policy
These events are not typically covered under a General Liability. A separate Special Event insurance policy must be purchased.
• Aircraft events, including hot air balloon rides
• Events involving animals
• Bicycle events, including virtual bicycle events
• Boxing, wrestling, hockey, karate and other contact sporting events
• Car shows
• Circuses and carnivals
• Events involving mechanical amusement devices like mechanical bulls
• Events selling, serving or furnishing alcoholic beverages and requiring a liquor license and Host Liquor coverage
• Events with bands
• Motorized sporting events like tractor or truck pulls
• Professional sporting activities
• Pyrotechnical devices, including fireworks or explosives
• Obstacle courses or activities involving rappelling and climbing
Meeting Your Insurance Needs for All Events
It is crucial that all your events are fully insured to protect your organization and its members, volunteers, participants and attendees. If your organization is planning any events that are not covered by General Liability, contact Lockton Affinity to obtain Special Event coverage.
Our dedicated insurance representatives have been trained to understand the risks Councils face, so a quick call will help ensure your events are properly insured.